1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish or other 3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
2) Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until the potatoes are fork tender, about 1 hour or so, depending upon the size of your potatoes. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Peel and discard the skins (they should come off easily with your fingers), break the potatoes in large chunks with a fork, then place the chunks into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl.
3) Pour almond milk. Add the melted coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper. Mash the potatoes together with the milk and spices until fairly smooth with some texture remaining. Taste and add additional salt/pepper as desired. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. With the back of a rubber spatula, press and smooth into a single layer.
4) In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients: Puffins, pecans, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup until moist and evenly mixed. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
5) Bake until the topping is toasted and fragrant and casserole is warmed through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.Barbara's Sweet Potato